Community Technology Centers (CTCs) were created to provide access to technology resources to underserved areas. CTCs allow free access to computers and internet to the community. NLEI’s CTC is open Monday through Friday from 9-4 pm. The lab has 16 work stations and is open to work on resumes, job searches and job applications, homework and more.
NLEI is part of Lumity’s CTC Connect Program. It is a comprehensive program designed to help increase the capacity and sustainability of CTCs in Chicago. The idea was to connect with seventy participating CTCs, and to join them together with Lumity to identify best practices for operating CTCs and generate new sources of revenue to sustain and ensure that their programs meet the needs of the communities which they serve. Through this partnership, over the last two years of this grant award participating CTC’s received:
- Technical assessments on their current tech environment with recommendations to address vulnerabilities
- Technology support via online troubleshooting tips, help desk and onsite support
- Operational best practices resources and training
- Peer networking opportunities
- Access to a volunteer matching portal to recruit pro bono support for special tech projects, programs and operations